Terry Pratchett had this idea that inspiration passed constantly through the universe as a stream of particles which would, occasionally, interact with a mind. Some people, unfortunately for them, have denser brains or something and inspiratons (I just made that up) interact with them more often. That’s how I’m feeling at the moment.
Reality Hack is on hold; I didn’t think I’d take it to a full draft right now, but I’ve called a halt while I work out where I’m going with it. Good start, but it needs some careful though or it’s going to go off on a tangent.
Besides, last weekend while I was putting Ugly out I had this inspiraton smack me in the brain and now I’m writing High Fantasy (or as high as I get anyway). I mean it’s got dragons in it! No idea when that one’s going to see daylight, or if it ever will, but it’s got some cool stuff and I actually do know where I want it to go. Bit epic for me, but we’ll see what happens.
Except that I really have to sit down and write the next Aneka Jansen book soon if I’m going to get it out before Christmas like I promised. I am, however, happy to be doing some random stuff before then. It helps stop me going funny.
Funnier. Sorry, yeah, it helps stop me going funnier.
This is a very, very, vague release schedule for the next few books I have planned. Take a lot of this with a pinch of salt, dates are subject to variation. If you’re wondering why I’m posting this here as well as over in the Steel blog, keep reading.
- Around February 2nd the next Aneka Jansen book, The Winter War, should be out. (That date is pretty solid. Proofing is booked, I just need the final MS ready.)
- Sometime in early April then we should be seeing the follow-up, The Greatest Heights of Honour.
- After that, something new. I’m working on a superhero novel named Ugly. If that works through the schedule, it’ll go out to the shops in May or June.
- However, Ugly is a new project and may take some rework, so it might swap places with the next, currently unnamed, book in the Thaumatology series. We’re looking at May to September for that one.
- And the last book I have planned is the sixth Aneka book. All I’m willing to say about a date is ‘the latter half of the year.’ I’ve given myself a bit of challenge getting books 5 and 6 right. They’re going to be hard work.
- Unplanned, but possible, is a sequel to Ugly. I know where the plot would be going, but not how.
I’ve made a post over on my other blog for Steel Beneath the Skin, because it applies most directly to that book. However, if you’re a reader of the Thaumatology series, go over there and bask in some author-sent glory. It applies to you too.
I’ve finally kicked off the blog for my other little project. Coming to an on-line store when I get the first one finished, the story of Aneka Jansen, 21st Century girl who wakes up in the future.